Fertility practitioners are frequently gynaecologists or urologists who have had additional training to treat reproductive organ diseases. While your primary care physician or gynaecologist can start the screening process and even prescribe simple therapies like Clomid, you may need to consult an ivf doctor for more advanced testing and therapy.

Doctors Who Focus on Fertility

Fertility specialists include a wide range of medical professionals. The optimal one for you will be determined by your medical history and needs.


Most people associate fertility experts with reproductive endocrinologists. A reproductive endocrinologist is a gynaecologist who has had additional training in infertility and fertility treatment; they address both male and female fertility issues.

Reproductive endocrinologists supervise, perform, and prescribe fertility tests and treatments such as IUI and IVF. When outside ivf doctor experts are required, the reproductive endocrinologist is often the primary consultation. They can also assist cancer patients with fertility preservation by coordinating fertility preservation prior to the commencement of fertility-threatening cancer therapy with an oncologist.


Andrologists are urologists who have undergone extra male fertility training. Male fertility issues can be examined and treated by andrologists on their own or in conjunction with reproductive endocrinologists. They may investigate further to determine the source of low or nonexistent sperm counts and, if feasible, cure the issue so that the couple can conceive without IVF.

An andrologist is ivf doctor who can also perform a testicular biopsy to retrieve testicular sperm. They help treat sexually transmitted diseases, erectile dysfunction, testicular torsion, and undescended testes.

Reproductive Medicine Surgeon

A reproductive surgeon is a different type of ivf doctor. While reproductive endocrinologists also do surgery, reproductive surgeons have additional surgical expertise and may treat patients for conditions other than infertility. Their initial education might be in gynaecology or urology. Reproductive surgeons, for example, may remove fibroids or treat endometriosis surgically. Vasectomies and tubal ligations can also be performed or reversed by a reproductive surgeon.

Immunologists who specialise in reproductive immunology

Reproductive immunologists integrate immunology and reproductive medicine knowledge. In situations of recurrent miscarriage, unexplained infertility, or unexplained recurring IVF failure, an ivf doctor especially a reproductive immunologist should be consulted.

If you have endometriosis or an autoimmune condition such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, you should see a reproductive immunologist. Reproductive immunologists can be ivf doctor or scientists who treat infertile couples alongside reproductive endocrinologists.

Collaboration with Your OB/GYN

Changing from a general practitioner to a reproductive ivf doctor may be emotionally draining. Reproductive clinics may refuse to accept insurance (requiring you to apply for out-of-network coverage on your own), or your insurer may not cover reproductive treatments at all. You may also live far from a fertility clinic. Getting to a fertility expert may require you to take a day out of work, depending on your location and the size of your city or town. (Or, sometimes, even require overnight travel.)

Given these disadvantages, you may be inclined to stick with your current gynaecologist as long as feasible. Is this a decent plan? It all depends.

If you are young and basic fertility tests for both partners come back normal, you should probably continue seeing your usual OB/GYN for another six months. Also, if basic fertility testing reveals “mild” reproductive issues and travelling to a clinic would be problematic, continuing with your usual doctor or local ivf doctor for another six months is generally fine.